Monday, September 26, 2016

In Which We Must Learn the Hard Way

We bought a camper. And we didn't know anything about camping or campers, save what I remembered from being a Girl Scout in the 70's, what Tim picked up on what I gather were somewhat painful camping trips with his ex-wife and her family, and what I learned from Pinterest. God love Pinterest.

So because I suffer from FOBO (Fear Of Better Options) to a pathological degree, we (I, nearly obsessively) spent 3 years researching what we could pull with my Mercedes SUV (named Fiona), what would best fit our family (which could be as little as me and Tim, or as much as me and Tim, 4 adult kids (one with non-verbal Autism), 3 grandkids, 1 dog, 2 cats, and a partridge in a pear tree), and what manufacturers had a reputation for good quality. What I didn't do was research WHERE to buy it or WHO would do the necessary modifications to the Mercedes, and we prefer to learn the hard way.  Camping World has a terrible reputation for service, and from what we've seen, the company appears to be run by orangutans (no offense to the primate world) and no one (not even the Mercedes dealership) would tap into the electrical system on Fiona to complete the modifications necessary to tow a camper.

Long story short: we will never buy from Camping World in Greenwood, Indiana again, and I've traded my beautiful, white Mercedes ML350 in for a sparkly red, gigantic Ford Expedition.

So there you have it. Meet Ramona.


No comments:

Post a Comment